Saturday, July 15, 2023

Can You Guess What Is Next?

To answer the question; Heightmaps

At least, it's in the near future, because the next step is heightmaps. Not just heightmaps, but layers of heightmaps, but there will be a limited layer amount. Similar to what I did with the Biome Generator, but with heightmaps, and different constraints or operations.

The image above is the first iteration of perlin noise, and it does not use a library. I am using STB to just save the image as a PNG file. Exact same method I used on the Biome Generator. This perlin noise is using 8 octaves, and a 0.1 bias. Here is 6 octaves, and a 0.1 bias:


I'm sure you get the point, it's the same as all other perlin noise implementations, and this will be the starting point of the heightmap generator for all of the biomes. I may experiment by blending the perlin noise with the biome map as the initial starting point, but that will have to wait for now.

Next I will have to work on C++ and LUA. Communication is important, since I need the generators to remain in C++, and I will also need to perform the generation in a thread. I may also use SQLite to store all of the data. I will need LUA to be able to either access SQL or my own classes that handle the data.

So much to do and so little time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

3D Landscape Basic Textures

 I thought I would add a couple textures so it wasn't just white. This is by no means a representation of what the landscape will look l...